United Kingdom

Kevin Spacey says he’s ‘enormously grateful’ after being cleared in U.K. trial. What’s next for the actor?

Kevin Spacey’s U.K. sexual assault trial is over — with the verdict in his favor— in the latest of a series of legal battles for the House of Cards actor. Ahead of the trial, he said his career was riding on a not guilty verdict, which he now has.


“I imagine that many of you can understand that there’s a lot for me to process after what has just happened today,” the Oscar winner said outside the Southwark Crown Court on Wednesday. “But I would like to say that I am enormously grateful to the jury for having taken the time to examine all of the evidence and all of the facts carefully before they reached the decision. And I am humbled by the outcome today. I also want to thank the staff inside this courthouse, the security and all those who took care of us every single day, my legal team … for being here every day and that’s all I have to say for the moment. Thank you very much.”


Spacey, who turned 64 on the day of the verdict, was cleared of nine sexual offense charges involving four unidentified men between the period of 2001 and 2013. During most of that period, Spacey was the artistic director of the Old Vic theater in London. (He had faced 12 counts in the criminal case, but they were reduced to nine last week due to a “legal technicality.”)